Copyright American Pain Foundation. Content created as part of an educational grant.
- The following principles of safe use should be followed by persons using opioids:
- Never take a prescription painkiller unless it is prescribed to you; inform all healthcare professionals you see (and who prescribe for you) what medications you are taking
- Do not take pain medicine with alcohol
- Do not take more doses than prescribed
- Use of other sedative or anti-anxiety medications can be dangerous
- Avoid using prescription painkillers to facilitate sleep
- Lock up prescription painkillers
APF. PainSAFE™. Six Opioid Safety Steps. Available at:
steps.pdf.; Zero Unintentional Deaths. Six Steps to Zero. Available at:
http://www.zerodeaths.org/. Accessed February 7, 2011.