Copyright American Pain Foundation. Content created as part of an educational grant.
- Do not flush prescription drugs down the toilet or drain unless the label or accompanying patient information specifically instructs you to do so
- Prescription drugs not labeled to be flushed may be able to be disposed of at community drug take-back programs. If a drug take-back or collection program is not available:
- Take your prescription drugs out of their original containers.
- Mix drugs with an undesirable substance (eg, cat litter or used coffee grounds).
- Put the mixture into a disposable container with a lid or a sealable bag.
- Conceal or remove any personal information, including Rx number, on the empty containers by covering it with black permanent marker or duct tape, or by scratching it off.
- Place the sealed container with the mixture, and the empty drug containers, in the trash.
Office of National Drug Control Policy. Proper disposal of prescription drugs. Available at: http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/publications/pdf/prescrip_disposal.pdf. Accessed January 19, 2011.